IT Infrastructure Architect
IT professional with over 10 years of experience in multiple roles, typically serving in a cross functional capacity. Excels in a dynamic environment with constant change. Prefers automation to manual repetition, and being a partner to the business instead of a simple services provider.
03/2011 – 02/2015 — ViaSat Inc. El Camino Real, Carlsbad California 92009 760-476-2200
03/2011 – 02/2015 — Senior Network Engineer
Focus on data center networking supporting Satellite Service Provider back office and operational support systems, including:
- Cisco Nexus 7000, 5000, 2000, 1000V.
- Cisco Catalyst 2960, 3750.
- Cisco ASA.
- Cisco ACE.
- Cisco ACS.
- Juniper SA VPN Appliances.
- Juniper MX Routers.
- OSPF and MPLS internal network.
- BGP Peering with providers and at internal MPLS network CE-PE boundary.
Provide support and dissemination of knowledge to other engineers.
Work with business owners on architecture, implementation and support of their applications, with a focus on network services.
Work with other data center infrastructure groups toward the completion of projects our groups support.
Provide knowledge transfer and augmentation to other infrastructure groups where own knowledge or experience surpasses that of the functional groups subject matter expertise.
- Assist in the setup and maintenance of Red Hat Satellite.
- Provide training on the use of Git, along with proposing workflows to encourage collaboration.
- Provide training and escalation on scripting and programming with Python.
- Evaluation of Splunk and ELK for log aggregation, building network specific queries and assisting in building queries to correlate network, systems, and application data.
- Setup CentOS 7 VM templates for use in a vSphere environment, using cloud-init to customize the deployed virtual machines using the same data structures as when deploying in the future to OpenStack or AWS.
Encourage the adoption of Infrastructure as Code and Agile Operations methods, procedures, and tools, across functional groups.
Implement and maintain server infrastructure supporting network operations, including:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and 6 for server OS.
- SaltStack for configuration management.
- Git for version control of configuration management data.
- Investigate use of SaltStack and ProxyMinion functionality to control configuration of network devices through same interface as server infrastructure.
Utilize configuration management for network supporting server infrastructure to automate the deployment of proxy white listing.
07/2010 – 01/2011 — Consumers Energy One Energy Plaza Drive, Jackson Michigan 49201 517-788-0550
07/2010 – 01/2011 — AMI Network Engineer
Review and assess vendor equipment pertaining to Smart Grid Enablement such as:
- Home Area Networking (HAN)
- Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI)
Evaluate wireless communications utilizing IEEE 802.15.4 (ZigBee) between AMI meters and HAN equipment such as:
- Home energy displays
- Environmental controls
Evaluate wireless communications of AMI meters in a mesh, along with transport of data back to head end.
Evaluate functionality of vendor head end for their AMI solution.
Manage VMware environment of approximately 200 virtual machines, containing internal servers and vendor environments.
Enabled the Cisco Nexus 1000V virtual switch in a portion of the lab environment for demonstration purposes, with goal of enabling throughout the VMware infrastructure to provide greater network level control.
02/2009 – 07/2010 — Netarx, LLC (Acquired by Logicalis Group in July, 2011)
(Netarx acquired Analysts International VAR business unit in August 2009)
08/2009 – 07/2010 — Network Engineer
On-demand work for customers, including:
- Temporary staff augmentation
- Break-fix resolution
Project based work for customers, including:
- Some pre-sales engineering
- Production of implementation plans and detailed design documents
- Execution of implementation plans
Perform assessments on customer infrastructure
- Assess current state manually and with automated tools
- Generate report for customer
- Review report with customer staff
Peer review of customer deliverables.
Areas of expertise:
- Network Management
- Data Center Technologies
- UNIX (HP-UX, Solaris)
03/2005 – 02/2009 — Liquid Web Inc. 4210 S Creyts Rd, Lansing Michigan 48917 800-580-4985
08/2008 – 02/2009 — System Administrator
Technical support provided to web hosting customers, such as:
- Hosting control panels (cPanel, Plesk)
- Web servers (Apache, IIS)
- Email services
- Host firewalls (IPTables, Windows Firewall)
03/2005 – 08/2008 — Network Engineer
Design, implement and maintain globally accessible web hosting network infrastructure.
Monitor and rebalanced outbound traffic flow over multiple carriers.
Manage IP allocations for use, and acquisitions through ARIN
Implement and maintain distributed authentication for network devices, utilizing:
- Shrubbery Networks tac_plus daemon
- MIT Kerberos
Implement and maintain distributed syslog infrastructure.
Implement and maintain distributed SNMP trap and notification system.
Design and maintain product development around network based services such as hardware firewalls and load balancers.
Provide escalation support for suspected network related issues.
Provide customer support on network based services.
Provide training and documentation to engineering and support staff.
03/2003 – 03/2005 — Lansing State Journal 120 E Lenawee St, Lansing Michigan 48919 517-377-1000
03/2003 – 03/2005 — Information Technology Coordinator
Project coordination for UNIX server infrastructure and core networking.
Maintain server infrastructure on various platforms, such as:
- Mac OS 9 and 10
Maintain core network infrastructure for both the LAN and WAN.
Provide assistance to sister papers in the Michigan Synergy.
Work with Gannett Corporate IT.
Provide end user support to a mixed desktop environment.
09/2002 – 09/2006 — Computer Vision Networks (Dissolved)
09/2002 – 09/2006 — Partner and Chief Executive Officer
- Drafted and submitted original Articles of Incorporation.
- Drafted corporate by-laws adopted by shareholders.
- Responsible for coordinating and conducting all shareholder and board meetings.
- Maintained all financial records and corporate budgeting.
- Responsible for accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Drafted, reviewed and approved all legal documents.
- Responsible for drafting all work authorizations and statements of work for customer projects.
- Performed warm sales calls in both an account manager and pre-sales engineer role.
- Reviewed and responded to all requests for proposal and quote.
- Maintained all vendor partnerships.
06/2002 – 03/2003 — JAS Networks (Acquired by Iserv in 2006)
06/2002 – 03/2003 — Technical Support Specialist
- Provide technical support to customers both residential and commercial.
- Assist with management of servers, and network equipment.
- Assisted in the implementation and maintenance of OSPF and BGP routing architecture.
- Assisted in the maintenance of the ATM LANE environment which fed the Paradyne DSLAMs.
- Maintain database for trouble tickets both internal and with Ameritech.
06/2001 – 03/2002 — Albion College 611 East Porter, Albion, Michigan 49224 517-629-1000
06/2001 – 03/2002 — Network Assistant
- Provided assistance to the Network and System Administrators with various tasks.
|January 2, 2012 – Current||Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE|
|January 2, 2012 – Current||Red Hat Certified System Administrator, RHCSA|
|March 16, 2009 – March 16, 2012||Cisco Certified Network Associate, CCNA|
|March 31, 2005 – Current||Novell Certified Linux Professional|
|January 29, 2005 – January 29, 2010||Linux Professional Institute Certified Level 1, LPIC-1|
|July 16, 2003 – July 16, 2006||Cisco Certified Network Professional, CCNP|
|July 3, 2003 – July 16, 2006||Cisco Certified Design Professional, CCDP|
|May 20, 2002 – July 16, 2006||Cisco Certified Design Associate, CCDA|
|January 18, 2002 – July 16, 2006||Cisco Certified Network Associate, CCNA|
2000 – 2002 — Calhoun Area Technology Center 475 E Roosevelt Ave, Battle Creek Michigan 49017 269-968-2271
Computer Networking — Cisco Network Academy Alumnus
1998 – 2002 — Albion Senior High School 225 Watson St, Albion Michigan 49224 517-629-9166
General Education — High School Dipoloma